Sweet Affirmation


Now listen, and believe me, I am not just saying this because I'm your mother... You are the prettiest, nicest girl in the entire school, not to mention the brightest, and if you don't believe me just go look in the mirror. Don't worry...one day your ship will come in.

(Thank you, Vicki & Mike Sweet, for making sure I knew I was the brightest and the best, even in my own mind. As parents and human beings, you rock. Because of you, I am able to spread some of that love and affirmation around. Pass it on!)

Wednesday, February 7, 2007

Musical interlude

I am not too busy at work right now, which is a miracle, so I have had time to obsession over two things I love: food and music. I have been spending time with my CD's, mp3's and and figuring out what to burn and put into the 6-CD changer for my short commutes. That is, when the kids don't dictate that we listen to Wiggleworms or Ralph's World or Justin Roberts... Who's in charge here, anyway?!?

I love modern folk and singer-songwriters with soul, and have created several crazy compilations on iTunes. I need to share these with my husband, since I am the main repository of music in our household. But anyway, I wanted to share some really great musicians with you:

Ellis Paul - the king of indy singer-songwriters, from Maine, and SO cool in person! His lyrics are stunning.

Teitur - Danish songwriter with a gentle spirit, makes me feel like I'm wrapped up in a blanket

Sufjan Stevens - from right here in Illinoise! I still can't figure out how to pronounce his name, but he's brilliant

KT Tunstall - from Wales, but went to prep school in the US, she seriously rocks

Michael Tolcher - a Georgia boy who sings about learning the hard way, something we all can relate to!

I also have a thing for the pop-y pretty boys, who get airplay for a single song (or a few more), but whose albums are even better than the singles: Josh Kelley, Jason Mraz, John Mayer, Jack Johnson, James Blunt, Gavin DeGraw and Daniel Powter. Check these guys out!!!

All of these artists are worth a listen, and I'd argue that they are writing some of the most gorgeous, poignant music out there today. They each have something to say, and they say it beautifully.

Being a Sweet means appreciating the little things in life that bring you joy, and not take those things for granted. So, today, I am grateful for great music and the ability to enjoy it every day!

No comments: