Sweet Affirmation


Now listen, and believe me, I am not just saying this because I'm your mother... You are the prettiest, nicest girl in the entire school, not to mention the brightest, and if you don't believe me just go look in the mirror. Don't worry...one day your ship will come in.

(Thank you, Vicki & Mike Sweet, for making sure I knew I was the brightest and the best, even in my own mind. As parents and human beings, you rock. Because of you, I am able to spread some of that love and affirmation around. Pass it on!)

Thursday, February 8, 2007

Anticipation



We are VERY excited at our house about the impending arrival of Grammy & Popa. And by excited I mean that the kids and I are fairly bursting out of our skin with anticipation. There is nothing better in the world than having your parents (or grandparents, particularly when you're little) around! I can't believe they are actually coming today. Now, if only the weather would cooperate, because I hate worrying.

Everybody knows that winter travel sucks. There is no polite way to say it. When you live in the snowy tundra of the northern plains, it's going to be this way. Even global warming does not seem to helping. (Does this mean another ice age is on its way? Or that we are going to be living alongside the "tropical Great Lakes" here in a few generations? I need to look into this...)

Anyway, the *@#$%!! weather is already delaying my parents' flights here to Chicago. It's a gorgeous day, sunny, blue skies, no clouds, and 2 degrees F. Yes, you read that right...it's 2F/-17C, depending on your preference for F or C. My guess is that the de-icing of every plane is slowing things considerably. Well, that and de-cing the runways, and oiling all the parts with de-icing fuids, etc. I just want them to get here safely, and soon.

Have you ever noticed how disgusting road salt and sand and other chemical combinations thereof really are? They are hideous. They eat through clothing! They cover my children's winter coats and my cute black pants. They irritate my husband when they cover our car so we can't see out the windows. And yet, we need them. So... Why am I rambling about road salt? I don't know! I am just irritated that it is so freakin' cold out, and my parents are coming for a long weekend, and we are all going to be frozen and covered with salt everywhere we go. Doesn't that sound like fun?

Anyway...
Being a Sweet means being more excited to see your own family than almost anyone else in the whole world.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

We can't wait to see Grammy and Popa, I hope they are ready to gain some weight!